Barley is a tasty and healthy cereal grain with amazing fibre and protein contents. It is commonly used in soup and minestrone recipes; however, Tuscan cuisine features a variety of barley salad recipes too. I’ve created this simple and quick barley salad to share with you. Once you have experimented with barley, you can go a bit wilder and mix it with roasted veggies, beans, or carrots.
If you are in a rush but fancy some carbs, this fresh barley and tomato salad is perfect for a summer lunch or dinner. It will keep your energy levels up.
Prep 5 minutes
Cook 10 minutes
- 80g barley quick-cook barley
- 3 tomatoes on the vine
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- oregano to taste (basil is a great alternative)
- salt to taste
- Bring 1 litre of water to boil and add the barley.
- Cook for 10 minutes whilst enjoying the amazing smell.
- In the meantime, chop the tomatoes and salt them.
- Wash the barley in cold water to cool it down or let it sit until at room temperature.
- Mix the barley with the tomatoes and add the oil. Mix.
- Sprinkle the oregano on top.
If you aren’t a bit fan of oregano, you can change this with basil.
For another summery cold dish ideal for the summer, check out my homemade vegetarian maki recipe.